Another extremely successful offering from Catalina. The 36 has been one of the most successful sailing vessels ever designed. Resale value is solid. This value has always made repowering a Catalina 36 to be money well spent.
As usual with most of the Catalina lines, there are variations to the Catalina 36:
- The MK I version began in 1982.
- The Mark II version began in 1994.
The Catalina 36 was available with standard fin keel or a shoal draft wing design.
Original builds from 1982 started with 23 hp diesel engines as standard. Later in this model’s history, the 36 Mk II was fitted out with up to a 35 hp engine.
The Beta 30 is a fine replacement engine for the Catalina 36. It produces the power you need for motoring and low speed handling, while also providing excellent efficiency. The Beta 30 fits the engine compartment very nicely and the exhaust is properly located on the port side of the engine. This is important for easy installation when using the original Catalina muffler location and design. The Beta 25 has also been a common engine replacement for the Catalina 36.
Beta Marine standard mounts are typically used to repower the Catalina 36. Please call us to discuss your current installation and the best repower options.
Things to Know
- As with many Catalina sailboats, the 36 has exhaust routing that is somewhat unique. We have the information and parts you need to make sure the exhaust is installed in the safest, most effective and cost efficient manner.
- The Catalina 36 is a cruiser that sails, the larger 120 amp Beta alternator, Deluxe Control Panel, and water heater connections are popular cruising options.
- In order to maintain full sailing potential, the J-prop feathering propeller has become a welcome addition to this repower package.
The Catalina 36 is one of the most common boats we repower with Beta Marine diesel engines. We have extensive experience assisting with engine replacements on this model and the variations that came about over the years. We have pictures, drawings and measurements for reference as well. Contact us to discuss your boat in more detail, or add to our forum discussion on this specific boat model through the link below.